High-performing boards not only oversee and assess management but are willing to review and examine their own performance as well. Board effectiveness reviews are a time to step back and reflect on culture and goals. They can also enable the board to have a better sense of its level of psychological safety and inclusion.
A board review is a professionally guided analysis of the structure, functioning, effectiveness and areas for improvement of the board of directors. It is based on individual and confidential interviews with the chair, the CEO and all the directors.
It highlights how directors perceive:
- The right dimension and the suitable mix of professional competencies
- The committees’ composition and effectiveness
- Suitable leadership, organization, information and efficient functioning of the board as a whole
- Performance orientation of the board and of the company
- Board dynamics
- Benchmark against best practices in corporate governance